Saturday, March 28, 2009

Oban 18 Year Single Malt Tasting Notes


An anniversary gift from Megan, Oban 18 Year Old Limited Edition, plus a Riedel Vinum series Single Malt glass...my girlfriend is so much cooler than yours.

I've been an Oban 14 drinker for a while now, I can spend a whole evening wrapping my nose around it's peaty citrusy (Is that even a word? If not it should be) goodness. So it was no surprise to me that the Oban 18 would be a finer version of it's younger sibling.

Tonight we find your friendly blogger on the tail end of a 12 hour day in the studio. While I will never post details about the bands I'm working with, discression above all things...; I will try to give you, the reader, something to think about the next time you put on the radio or break out your ipod. 12 hours of tracking guitars is mind numbing...

It's hard to describe, but the sheer willpower that one needs to sit and listen to 12 hours worth of guitar tracking for only 2 songs in one day is mind boggling. If you can get past the boredom and mind numbing routine and give in to what you are doing, I think there is something quite wonderful about the process. Maybe it's the Jewish desire to self abuse, but I love guitars. I don't mind sitting and listening to the same song for hours; days on end trying to get to the perfect chord, the ideal performance. The moment when the artist's inspiration and deeply felt emotions finally translate through the emotional conduit that is popular song.

Sound pretentious enough? I'm paid to be verbose about songs and songwriting...if there ever was a profession in which one was paid to bullshit...my father always told me I should try to get paid for what you are good at.

So where does Oban 18 fit into all of this? After a day of guitars one has to turn off their mind. If you don't you'll never sleep. You can spend the entire night obsessing about the strange syncopated section in the second verse that the guitarist just couldn't get to save his life... Which is very strange considering that he wrote the damn thing and should be able to play it!!!!! You can see why scotch fits nicely into this equation.

The Oban 18 is a wonderful example of a fine aged single malt. Sweet and ripe on the nose, with a nice strong spice to it, some black pepper and salt. Hints of nutty toffee, oak, seaweed, and a fine smoke round out the palate. Long full tannins with a slow finish...an elegant drink by any measure. While I'm sure that Megan wanted to get me a great scotch, she had no idea how great the Oban is. I'd like to say I'll let it last and enjoy it over time, but I'll probably be the glutton and drunkard I'm known to be and drink it quickly, its far to tasty. So thank you Scotland...for your wonderful finish to a boring but wonderful part of my job, and I look forward to our continued friendship in the years and albums to come.

1 comment:

  1. Ah...Sounds heavenly. Before the French red I'm drinking now, I started off the night with Green Flash Brewing Co's Le Freak, a mix of imperial pale ale and trippel. It's nice and light, with a very citrusy (there's that word(?) again) aftertaste that's definitely unusual. Very sippable for such a high-alcohol beer. I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete